Monday, May 26, 2008

Mother

Wild turkeys usually nest in out-of-the way places in our woods, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover this nest right on the edge of a large cluster of spiky junipers not far from the main trail into the deep woods. Mother turkey had gone off to feed and was not sitting when I found the nest, but I didn't hang about or play about with camera settings. I just snapped a single quick photo and left the area immediately, lest I upset her.

The nest was a rounded hollow carefully lined with leaves and dried grasses, and it was concealed to some extent by the surrounding juniper thicket as well as a circle of old maple trees above - when the wind moved the overstory and sent leafy shadows dancing across the clearing, one could not see the nest at all. I counted twelve eggs, each about 2.5 inches in length, a rich creamy tan in color with chocolate brown freckles.

Of course, now I shall be watching both mother and nest from a long distance with my binoculars.

3 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This is an exciting discovery.
I can remember when I lived at my much loved farm I would find nest of my geese around the pond.
They would really cover it up with a lot of leaves.
It was a blessing that I could watch from afar as the babies entered the world and began swimming on the pond.

Shelli said...

Wow! That is a great discovery!

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely - how neat to be in a place to discover these! So glad to have a wee respite by your sharing of your wonderful experience!