Thursday, September 11, 2008

Poetry Thursday - The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Wendell Berry

8 comments:

Wendi said...

A favorite, much needed on this tired Thursday. Thank you. ;-)

Treehugger said...

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! Mr. Berry is one of my all-time favorite poets (and everything else he does, so well)! I can breathe this poem in, hold it there for a few moments, and then exhale it again. And it refreshes my soul....with gratitude and understanding.

daringtowrite said...

A favourite of mine, too, and a very timeless and intriguing photo. I'm looking forward to some time on the shore and with wild things this weekend. Ahhh, big sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of Wendell Berry till seeing your blog now I'm going to seek him out. Today's poem is truly beautiful, and so is the accompanying photograph. Is the latter yours?

KS

restoration42 said...

This is my all time favorite poem, it never fails to ease my heart.

-Cherie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this poem by Berry. What a peaceful way to start my day.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Love that Wendell Berry.

Anonymous said...

I came back to let you know that I found a Wendell Berry, called "Given". It must be the only volume of his work around on this side of the world! It's truly beautiful. Now I will seek more of his work. How did I never know about this poet?

KS